Employees of Red Eléctrica de España (REE), through its Corporate Volunteering Group EnREDando, have donated 4,994 kilos/litres of non-perishable food items to 22 food banks and five Caritas centres for distribution nationwide to families in need.
Involved in this second edition of the "Operation Kilo-Litre" were 43 volunteers who collected both kilos and litres of foodstuffs like rice, pasta, oil, milk or legumes, donated by employees from 44 of the company’s work centres. On average, each employee made a contribution of 3 kilos/litres of non-perishable food items.
Noteworthy was that eight workers from REE’s Pinar del Rey work centre (near San Roque, Cádiz) donated a total of 217.12 kilos/litres, equivalent to a donation of 27.14 kilos/litres of non-perishable foodstuff per employee.
Other EnREDando activities in 2013
In addition to "Operation Kilo - Litre", EnREDando volunteers launched other solidarity actions in 2013, amongst which the following are worth noting:
- "The Philippines in the heart": Red Eléctrica employees and the Company itself contributed a total of 10,000 euros to the NGO Médicos Sin Fronteras (Doctors Without Borders) for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan that hit the Philippines last November 8.
- Charity Auction: the Corporate Volunteer Group EnREDando organized its traditional charity auction in which all staff can bid on items given away to the volunteer group. In this fourth edition, EnREDando raised 3,896 euros earmarked for the care of children and youth with disabilities of the Apsuria Foundation.
- Fair trade: EnREDando hosted for the eighth consecutive year a fair trade market where volunteers raised 2,253 euros by selling items made under fair trade standards. The total collected is equivalent to 322 hours of work paid at a living wage.
- Participation in the Companies Solidarity Day organized by the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation and Antena 3.
- A total of 77 employees ran in support of the Spanish Federation for Rare Diseases (FEDER) in the fourth edition of the "Race for Hope".
- "Swimming for Maiti Nepal: 1 metre = 1 euro". The swimmer Carlos A. Miguel Pérez offered Red Eléctrica his participation in the Cullera Open Water Challenge 2013 (10-kilometer race held on June 22) as a solidarity action. In this regard, employees and the Company bought 2,700 euros (2,700 metres) which were earmarked for projects of the NGO Maiti Nepal for the eradication of human trafficking and in favour of childhood in Nepal.
- "Speak Out & Recycle: Donate your mobile". EnREDando volunteers collected a total of 256 used mobile phones, which once recycled, will allow the NGO InteRED to raise funds for adult literacy programmes and educational projects for children in Latin America, Asia and Africa.
The Press Office of Red Eléctrica publishes all written and visual information via the Twitter account @RevistaREE.
Also on Facebook in the account Revista Entrelíneas.