Biodiversity conservation has always been a basic principle within our environmental policy and corporate business strategy. In 2010, we strengthened our engagement through the definition of a core strategy for the Company to follow in this field and an action plan.
The facilities of Red Eléctrica are distributed nationwide.
One of the main criteria when defining the location of new facilities is to avoid those areas rich in biodiversity, although, in some cases, it is inevitable that installations cross or need to be located in protected spaces or in areas with species of interest (approximately 25% of the Spanish territory is protected).
In these cases, Red Eléctrica puts into motion all the necessary preventive and corrective measures to minimise the possible effects on flora and fauna, and provides additional environmental improvement actions to improve the biodiversity of the areas in which their facilities are located.
Only 0.08 % of the total surface area of Natura 2000 / Red Natura is occupied by Red Eléctrica facilities.
Main initiatives: Biodiversity Action Plan (2017-2021)
||Most relevant activities
|Improve the management of biodiversity in the Company, incorporating new approaches and expanding the scope
- Definition of a new assessment methodology for investment projects
- Promoting the management of biodiversity in the Group's subsidiaries
- Extending commitment to the supply chain
|Make facilities compatible with biodiversity
- BIRDLIFE: Multi-year line marking plan
- Forested areas: Signing of agreements for the prevention of forest fires
- Habitat of high ecological value: HABITAT Project
|Promote the conservation of biodiversity
- Participation in wildlife conservation projects (especially birdlife) and flora.
- Red Eléctrica Forest
- Red Eléctrica Marine Forest.
|Raise awareness on Red Eléctrica’s stance on biodiversity matters
- Increase employee awareness
- Promote corporate volunteering in the fieldof biodiversity
- Increase the visibility of Red Eléctrica externally with regard to biodiversity
|Promote innovation in biodiversity
- Implementation of innovation projects that contribute to the achievement of biodiversity challenges