We develop and carry out programmes aimed at identifying, controlling and reducing emissions associated with our activity. Furthermore we apply energy efficiency measures and also offset part of our emissions, mainly through ‘Red Eléctrica Forest’s initiative.
New reduction targets
In 2018 we have redefined our emission reduction targets to further increase our commitment to the fight against climate change. This new commitment has been approved by the Science Based Target (SBTi) initiative, which seeks to help companies define emission reduction targets based on science as a way to boost the competitive advantage of companies in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
Red Eléctrica is committed to a 40% reduction of Scope 1 and 2 emissions per MWh transported by 2030 compared to 2015
In terms of absolute emissions, this target involves a reduction of scope 1 and 2 emissions of 30% compared to 2015. In addition, a preliminary reduction target of 10% has been set for the 2020 horizon, compared to the same year.
The partial specific targets can be consulted in 'Our Climate Change Commitment and Action Plan' section on our web.
Scope 1: Direct GHG (Greenhouse Gas) emissions
- Fugitive Emissions:
- SF6 gas leaks in electricity substations.
- Refrigerant gases leaks from air conditioning systems.
- Mobile Combustion: emissions derived from fuel consumption of the fleet.
- Stationary combustion: derived from the combustion of fuels used in diesel generating sets. (No other stationary combustion source exists in the Company).
Scope 2: Indirect GHG emissions associated with electricity consumption
- Electricity consumption.
- Electricity losses in the transmission grid.
Scope 3: Other indirect GHG emissions
- Supply chain: Purchase of goods and services.
- Capital goods.
- Life cycle of fuel and energy consumed: emissions due to energy production (not included in scope 1 and 2).
- Upstream transportation and distribution.
- Waste management.
- Business travel by plane, train and car (taxi, private and rented vehicles).
- Employees commuting to the work place.
- Leased assets (downstream).
The main direct emissions derived from our activities are sulphur hexafluoride (SF6), which in terms of CO2 represents over 98% of total direct emissions calculated. We carry out the following actions to minimise these emissions:
- Control, inventory and management of SF6 gas.
- Training of all personnel involved in the management of SF6 gas.
- Replacement of SF6 management equipment and measurement equipment for more efficient equipment. The emissions savings of the new equipment is estimated at 1000 t of CO2 per year.
- Improved leak detection: acquisition of new pressure gauges and camera to detect leaks.
- Participation in the research project EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) on SF6 matters.
Table of Management of SF6 (Corporate Responsibility Report) PDF 282 KB.