Born on 30 of July of 1957.
Degree in Economics from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Trade Expert of the State.
- Independent consultant and advisor on macroeconomic issues and on Latin American mar-kets.
- Member, in a personal capacity, of the Scientific Council of the Elcano Royal Institute (since 2012).
- Member of the Editorial Board of El País and Grupo Prisa.
- Chief Economist and Head of the Research Department at the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) (2012-2018).
- Chief Economist for Latin America at the Banco de Santander (1999-2012).
- Representative of Banco Santander on the Board of Directors of the Elcano Royal Institute (until 2012).
- Member of the Social Advisory Council of the University of Castilla La Mancha (2005-2009) and Chairman of the same (2010-2012).
- Member of the Board of Directors of various public entities (INI, Aviaco, Autopistas del At-lántico, Renfe and Tabacalera) and also private entities, in particular, in the banking sector, occupying Board Director positions in Banco de Santiago (Chile), Banco Santander Colombia, Banco Santander Puerto Rico, Banco Santander Peru and Banco Venezuela between 1999 and 2012.
- Director of the Strategy and Planning Department of Banco Santander (1996-1999).
- Chief Economist of Asesores Financieros Internacionales (1996).
- Member of the Independent Committee of Experts of the Ministry of Economy and Finance responsible for developing macroeconomic scenarios for the Spanish economy (1994-1998).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Recoletos Group (1994-1999).
- Chief Economist at Argentaria (1993).
The most relevant positions held in the Public Administration (Ministry of Economy and Fi-nance) are as follow:
- Undersecretary of International Economy and Competition of the Ministry of Economy and Treasury (1991-1993).
- Member of the Steering/Management Committee of the Ministry of Economy and Treasury (1991-1993).
- Chief of Staff for the Secretary of State for the Economy (1988-1990).
- Executive Advisor to the Secretary of State for the Economy (1985-1987).
- Head of the Balance of Payments Service, Secretary of State for Commerce (1984-1985).
- Economic Advisor to the Secretary of State for Commerce and the Secretary General for Commerce (1983).
- Technical support to the General Technical Secretariat during the negotiation of Spain's entry into the EU (1984-1985).
- President of the Spanish Delegation to the OECD for the annual meetings regarding macroeconomic monitoring (1990-1993).
- Chairman of the Economic Policy Committee of the European Union (1992-1993).
- Member of the Economic Policy Committee of the EU (1989-1992).
- Responsible for Spanish relations with the IMF, the World Bank and the Development Banks (Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe) (1986-1993).
Other details of interest:
- Additionally, works as a lecturer at conferences with various institutions and collaborates as a professor in the International Master of the Instituto de Empresa.